education support (teaching assistant)
- Working with students with special needs, in a classroom setting, alongside the classroom teacher, specialists, therapists and parents.
- Providing and educational, engaging and nurturing environment for students to maximise their individual potential.
- Getting to know individual students and their personal needs. This involves spending time with students, reading and researching student profiles, behaviour management plans and meetings with previous teaching staff and parents.
- Providing support to students with a task where needed. This includes physical support.
- Support students with transitions in daily routines.
- Researching and creating teaching aids to use in the classroom, in and outside the school, and for use in the students home environment. This includes visuals, sensory tools, aided language displays and social stories.
- Working towards the students goals each term/year according to The Victorian Education Learning Standards. The curriculum is modified to suit the students individual needs. This includes personal goals such as, communication, behaviour, self-help skills and decision making.
- Develop or implement strategies to meet the needs of students with a variety of disabilities.
- Assisting with ABLES testing
- Assisting with reporting each term, including written and verbal reporting to parents about what their child is doing in the classroom.
- Assisting with providing Digital Portfolios of each student to parents at the end of the year, as another form of reporting. This is made in the classroom, with the students throughout the year.
- Classroom setup and activity setup.
- General organisation and classroom cleaning.
- Supervising yard duty.
- Supervising out of school activities such as, community access, walks, excursions and camps.
- Involvement in school fundraising.
- Working with new, and relief staff.
- Working with leading teachers and section staff.