- Access relevant systems to view and/or update taxpayers’ accounts regarding payments received, review status of the case, and/or to make account adjustments.
- Enter data into automated system to adjust tax, penalty, and/or credit adjustments.
- Recognize indications of tax fraud; make determinations and use sound judgment concerning taxpayers’ data and responses.
- Gain cooperation of taxpayers by explaining the best options available to resolve the problem or question, mutual interests, and to make sure they understand their responsibilities.
- Interpret the law as it relates to the issues and if affects the performance and efficiency of the Internal Revenue Service.
- Educate taxpayers on action(s) needed to achieve compliance with tax filing/liabilities.