- Perform housekeeping active such as cleaning ice from walkways
- Watch and remove hazard such as object in travel
- Use wretch-like power tong
- Catch the sample of drilled cuttings to be analyzed
- Drive crew truck and feel fuel
- Assist in laying casing into the well after it has been drilled
- Assist other member of the drilling crew wherever needed
floor hand/ derrick hand
- Install pressure-control devices onto wellheads.
- Operate pumps that circulate water, oil, or other fluids through wells to remove sand or other materials obstructing the free flow of oil.
- Close and seal wells no longer in use.
- Operate controls that raise derricks or level rigs.
- Operate tongs to disassemble pipes and rods inside well.
- Climb derrick to perform tasks, such as latching and organizing rods, as well as pipe coming out of the well.
- Pour water into wells, or pump water or slush into wells to cool drill bits and to remove drillings.
- Regulate air pressure, rotary speed, and downward pressure, according to the type of rock or concrete being drilled.
- Perform pumping tests to assess well performance.
- Withdraw drill rods from holes, and extract core samples.
- Observe electronic graph recorders and flow meters that monitor the water used to flush debris from holes.
- Making connections, tripping pipe, maintaining a safe and clean work environment during drilling operations.