- Presents academic and program information at freshman and transfer orientation to groups of student and their parents.
- Interprets and advises students on University, College, and Departmental policies, procedures, and academic requirements.
- Advises students in course scheduling to achieve academic success and meet academic requirements; including general education and major-specific requirements; identifies or evaluates options for students who must petition for an exception to a course or program requirement and makes approved adjustments to student’s program of study.
- Assesses students’ stage of development (academic, career, and personal) to promote academic growth by determining suitable developmental tasks. Help students explore pertinent internships, volunteer, undergraduate research opportunities and award opportunities.
- Assists student in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals. Sets up an action plan for students to explore alternative careers and related majors as needed.
- Monitors academic progress of students; determines eligibility and satisfactory progress toward degree; identifies current and potential needs or problem areas (e.g., study skills, tutoring) and refers students to appropriate campus resources for further assistance.
- Processes degree checks/audits for students planning to graduate.
- Evaluates transfer credits from other academic institutions for equivalencies and application to degree program.
- Maintains student files, records, and database; documents all pertinent student information; updates computerized information system regarding changes to student status, and performs data analysis as necessary.
- Teach a 1-unit course offered by the College of Science for undergraduate freshmen on academic probation; SCI 195A in the spring semester.
- Assists the College of Science Central Advising Office with walk-in advising for all College of Science students.
- Explained products or services and prices and demonstrate use of programs to help families create an academic plan for their child.
- Assisted customers by providing additional information and tailoring the program to fit each family’s unique needs.
- Generated incremental sales through prospective and existing customers.
- Lead company in consultation-to-close rate (22%) from January-May 2018. Generated over $250,000 in revenue from October 2017- May 2018.
- Advise students individually and in groups about the development of educational options and resources available.
- Serve as Student Activities Lead for the Eastern Campus.
- Lead and assist with freshman student orientation.
- Work closely with other academic advisors and counselors in order to provide timely information on course/degree requirements.
- Participate in professional conferences and individual professional development.
senior academic advisor
- Responsible for various aspects of students’ enrollment for a large online non-profit university.
- Consistently perform above department standards for quality and task utilization.
- Assist in the supervision and training of professional staff within the office of Academic Advising.
- Aid in the retention of current students through various outreach campaigns.
- Provide assistance for other departments to meet the needs of students and achieve organizational goals.