- II am a middle school Reading Teacher Specialist. I work with all of the ESL students and help them learn English. I work with all the students that struggle with Reading to help get them to grade level. Here are some of my main roles as Reading Specialist/Teacher
- Select and obtain materials and supplies
- Teach Vocabulary and English syntax
- Review and place students based on building wide data.
reading specialist/acting principal
- Establish, coordinate, and oversee state mandated testing across school district, as well as programs to evaluate student academic achievement.
- Plan and lead professional development activities for teachers, administrators, and support staff, focusing on a needs based system.
- Collect and analyze student test data while collaborating with teachers to improve instruction to meet student needs .
- Create and implement specials schedule in the areas of Art, Music and Physical Education.
- Deliver instruction to our lowest achieving readers to bring them up to grade level.
- Coordinate and direct extracurricular activities and programs such as Books and Breakfast Program and Upstanders Program.
- Implemented specialized, district-specific support and consultation to central office administrators,
- principals, reading coaches, and K-3 faculty for 90 Virginia elementary schools, resulting insignificant, sustained improvements in reading achievement
- Planned and executed regional and statewide professional development services alongside department staff to improve instructional leadership, literacy instruction, and coaching; taught at state sponsored reading academies in partnership with the University of Virginia
- Designed and implemented professional learning of research-based practices for literacy instruction, grant administration, and data analysis
- Supported the development of grant proposals, including planning, budgeting, and implementing for improved student achievement
- Conducting assessments to determine student reading levels.
- Creating reading plans to match student ability and learning styles.
- Guiding children through reading and writing activities to help them overcome obstacles to literacy.
- Tailor instruction to help struggling readers improve in literacy.
- Trained Reading Recovery Teacher works with five students daily.
- Maintains accurate and complete student records as required by laws or administrative policies.
- Completes daily Running Records to evaluate and plan for remediation for each student.
- Member of the Student Support Team to help plan intervention for struggling students.