- Review and approve proofs submitted by composing room prior to publication production.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
- Meet frequently with artists, typesetters, layout personnel, marketing directors, and production managers to discuss projects and resolve problems.
- Select local, state, national, and international news items received from wire services, based on assessment of items’ significance and interest value.
news editor (online and print)
- Gathering and checking the information
- Determine a story’s emphasis, length, and format, and organize material accordingly
- Writing for the magazines Closer, Closer Teen, Télé Star and Télé Poche, and their websites
- Arrange interviews with people who can provide information about a story
- In charge of the International News (UK and US celebrities) starting July 2016
- Review copy and correct errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
- Research and report on specialised fields such as Defence, science and technology, politics, sports, arts, business, crime and education.
- Overseeing the layout, appearance and content of the magazine.
- Revise work to meet editorial approval or to fit time and space requirements.
- Photograph or videotape news events, or source images where required.
- Ad hoc administration duties.
- Providing sales support to the Business Development Manager.
- Responsible for all aspects of social media, including monitoring and responding to comments and messages.
- Read and edit an average of three stories a day weekly for grammatical, spelling, and Associated Press (AP) style edits
- Attend newspaper production once a week from roughly 4pm-2am to finish reading stories, re-read stories, copy edit stories for grammatical, spelling, and AP style edits
- Discuss edits with the writers to ensure clarity and accuracy
- Design pages on Adobe InDesign in AP style
- Upload and design stories onto the newspaper publication’s website (tnhdigital.com)
- Promote stories, recent publications, and photos on social media
- Distribute the newspaper across the UNH campus
- Arrange interviews with critical news sources who could provide information about a story.
- Reviewed copy and correct errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
- Conducted taped or filmed interviews or narratives.
- Developed ideas or material for columns or commentaries by analyzing and interpreting news, current issues, or personal experiences.
- Transmitted news stories from remote locations, using equipment such as satellite phones, telephones, fax machines, or modems.
- Wrote columns, editorials, commentaries, or reviews that interpret events or offer opinions.