- Remove excess mortar with trowels and hand tools, and finish mortar joints with jointing tools, for a sealed, uniform appearance.
- Construct corners by fastening in plumb position a corner pole or building a corner pyramid of bricks, and filling in between the corners using a line from corner to corner to guide each course, or layer, of brick.
- Measure distance from reference points and mark guidelines to lay out work, using plumb bobs and levels.
- Break or cut bricks, tiles, or blocks to size, using trowel edge, hammer, or power saw.
- Fasten or fuse brick or other building material to structure with wire clamps, anchor holes, torch, or cement.
- Lay and align bricks, blocks, or tiles to build or repair structures or high temperature equipment, such as cupola, kilns, ovens, or furnaces.
- Calculate angles and courses and determine vertical and horizontal alignment of courses.
labourer / trowel hand
- Provide assistance to plasterers.
- Clean work areas and equipment.
- Supply own hand tools
- Apply coats of mortar to walls and partitions of buildings using trowel and hawk,
- Mix mortar and plaster to desired consistency.
- Clean and prepare surfaces for applications of mortar and plaster.
- Rough the undercoat surface so the finish coat will adhere.
- Apply paint, stain, varnish, enamel, or other finishes to equipment, buildings, bridges, or other structures, using brushes, spray guns, or rollers.
- Smooth surfaces, using sandpaper, scrapers, brushes, steel wool, or sanding machines.
- Waterproof buildings, using waterproofers or caulking.
- Fill cracks, holes, or joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other fillers, using caulking guns or putty knives.Control traffic passing near, in, or around work zones.
- Read plans, instructions, or specifications to determine work activities.
- Install sewer, water, or storm drain pipes, using pipe-laying machinery or laser guidance equipment.
- Operate or maintain air monitoring or other sampling devices in confined or hazardous environments.
- Moving gravel, dirt and tree cuttings
- Digging holes and uprooting trees
- Laying protective matting over garden
- Mix specified amounts of sand, clay, dirt, or mortar powder with water to form refractory mixtures.
- Transport or set explosives for tunnel, shaft, or road construction.
- Use computers or other input devices to control robotic pipe cutters or cleaners.
- Examine brickwork or structure to determine need for repair.
- Dig ditches or trenches, backfill excavations, or compact and level earth to grade specifications, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, or rakes.