- Responsible for financially clearing patients at ER, hospital bedside or OP registration to obtain cash payment or determine eligibility for various governmental programs.
- Goes over insurance and costs of procedures with patients before admitting them to the hospital.
- Collect the payment and update the patient billing records.
- Notifies hospital case management, social services and admission staff of case screening determinations and outcomes via verbal and written communications.
- Explains hospital regulations, such as visiting hours, payment of accounts, charges, etc.
- Set up arrangements / monthly installment plans for patients to payoff balances within the guidelines of the RGH collection policy.
senior financial counselor (ip/billing)
- Educate patients about payment options and financial assistance
- Communicate with patients and insurance companies on the phone
- Appropriately document and report payment information
- Negotiate and strategize patient payment arrangements
- Update patient accounts and balances
- Review and process patient and insurance company forms
- Screen families or possible assistance from Children’s Mercy or Missouri/Kansas Medicaid
- Guide families that qualify for assistance through the application process for Medicaid coverage in Missouri and Kansas
- Assist families that qualify for financial assistance at CMH with the application process
- Process 40 financial assistance applications monthly
- Touch 5 holdbills each day
- Touch 15 accounts daily
- Meet with walk-in families to discuss options regarding their bill
- Receive payment by cash, check, credit cards, or automatic debit with-drawls.
- Created OB agreement and collected deposits based off insurance benefits
- Kept track of existing payment plans and pulled money due.
- Created payment plans for OB deposits, and over due account balances.
- Called insurance companies and verified benefits
- Reviewed claims and sent messages to the appropriate parties to fix any problems.
- Communicate with physician, physician staff, medical records staff, patients, and patient’s family to meet patient’s needs.
- Verification of insurance coverage for requested procedures and testing for patients.
- Schedule patient’s for necessary procedures and testing.
- Assist patients in updating demographics and all personal information in medical chart.