- Seamanlike work in Deck department specially considering the vessel’s safety, maritime environmental protection and the quality of services.
- Performance of the planned maintenance work in Deck department.
- Repair work in Deck department according to instructions.
- Guidance of Deck Hands.
- Work related to vessel’s safety.
- Cargo related work.
- Watchkeeping at sea and port.
- Stand watch as helmsman and lookout.
- Perform general maintenance, repair, sanitation and upkeep of material, equipment, and areas in the deck department.
- Perform maintenance on lifeboats, rescue boats and life rafts, and emergency and damage control gear.
- Perform all operations connected with the launching of lifesaving equipment.
- Operate deck machinery, such as the windlass or winches while mooring or unmooring, and to operate cargo gear.
- Functions according to Muster List.
- Operates the vessel and its deck equipment under the direction of the ship’s officers. Keeps the non-engineering areas in good condition. Stands watch, looking out for the vessels and obstructions in the ship’s path and aids to navigation.
- Maintains and operate deck equipment such as life boats, anchors and cargo handling gear. Handles lines when docking or departing.
- Takes the responsibility of the safety of the vessel, including the well being of the passengers and crewmembers at all times. Responsible for typing up the vessel at the various ports and assist with locks. Can handle the ship’s steering wheel during navigation of the ship.
- Operates cargo ships cranes.