- Clean and perform maintenance on ship.
- Refinish affected areas with sealants, primers, and paints to slow the oxidation process.
- Secure or fasten cargo to ship.
- Stand watch on deck department of merchant ship.
- Chips and cleans rust spots from deck, superstructure, and sides of ship, using hand or air chipping hammer and wire brush.
- Hammer out dents and twists in tools and equipment.
- Bake finishes on painted or enameled articles, using baking ovens.
- Navigational Watch
- Handles Cargo Operations on Deck
- Trained and able in operating fire-fighting equipment
- Excellent knowledge and training of safety procedures
- Handles and transports hazardous ordnance materials with chief officer’s supervision
- Knowledgeable of cargo and anchor handling functions and any other operation related to the safe and efficient operation of the vessel
- Competent in all safety drills and following operational and safety procedures
- Knowledgeable of shipboard practices
- Able to perform docking/undocking procedures (handling lines, securing ship, etc.) and assisting with taking and discharging of cargo
- Ship Maintenance
- Responsible for standing watch, either as lookout or on the bridge steering the vessel
- Able to perform deck related maintenance duties such as painting, chipping and etc.
- Can work aloft in certain situations
- Scanned seas while navigating ship to quickly spy obstacles, includiing traffic that could put vessel in danger.
- Organized and loaded ship storage and cargo using crane equipmentt.
- Cleaned lifesaving equipment to keep it in active service and ready for emergency and crisis situations.
- Performed routine maintenance tasks, including lowering, raising and cleaning ship’s anchor.