- Customer service – because merchandise associates work closely with products, they may answer customer questions, point customers toward specific merchandise, and help customers find certain products. They should come across as friendly, professional, and helpful
- Sales experience – the ultimate goal of any retail environment is to sell products, and merchandise associates are an integral part of the sales team. They’re experts on the products in the store and use their knowledge to steer customers toward certain items and products they’re interested in buying
- Cashier duties – merchandise associates must be able to perform any job on the sales floor, as they may cover for sales associates on break or jump in to ring up customers when the sales floor is particularly busy
- Computer knowledge – most stores use fully computerized systems to track inventory, sales, and other essential information regarding store merchandise, so merchandise associates need basic computer and electronic skills to handle scanning equipment, pricing materials, inventory systems, and cash registers
- Communication skills – merchandise associates coordinate with sales and warehouse associates to make sure products flow easily from the warehouse to the sales staff, which takes good communication and strong interpersonal skills
- Delivered various items from the stockroom to the sales floor in a timely manner
- Cooperated with Sales Floor Representatives using walkie-talkies to complete stock checks
- Operated large machinery to compress unneeded stock materials
- Lifted heavy and fragile objects from high places on a regular basis
- Unloading truck orders.
- Unpacking/Slashing Boxes for merchandise.
- Systematically separate merchandise to different departments.
- Stock and back stock store inventory.
- Worked in teams to accomplish goals.
- Cleaning and organizing shelving.
- Dismantling and rebuilding shelving for new campaign promotions.
- Stock the Sales Floor.
- Organize Merchandise.
- Straighten Sales Floor and Restock Shelves.
- Assemble Product Displays.